1. John hoped the firm would him to the New York branch.
2. I'll come after the meeting if time .
3. Tom might have been killed the timely arrival of the police.
A. except for
C. but for
4. He bought a new house this year, which is his former one.
A. twice as big as
B. twice than
C. twice as much as
D. twice the size as
5. I was informed that the contract would come into on the first day of the following month.
6. A harmonious society would considerable benefits for the country's health, wealth and security.
A. lead to
B. result from
C. lie in
D. settle down
7. Young she was, she was equal to the task.
8. Professor Li has neither watched TV nor the film for quite a few days.
9. It is a pity that three paragraphs of my paper were by my adviser.
D. left off
10. The soldier was of running away when the enemy attacked.
11. She looks tired. She last night.
A. should have stayed up late
B. must have stayed up late
C. need have stayed up late
D. would have stayed up late
12. People in that area experienced a serious storm. It was so that many buildings collapsed.
13. Linda is a good teacher; she always our memory when we can't remember.
14. The investigation, will soon be published, was made by Professor Smith.
A. at which the results
B. the results on which
C. of whose results
D. whose results
15. The pile of books fell down from the shelf and all over the floor.
16. We would much it if you could do us a favor.
17. The candidate arrived at 8 o'clock for the job interview.
18. The music would stop at the intervals, then after a while
19. The boy who applied to join the army was because he was under age.
A turned away
B. turned down
C. turned over
D. turned up
20. The actual cost of the house was higher than their original .